So this you may think has nothing to do with paleo, correct! However it has everything to do with health and well being. I have enjoyed being news free for years now, and I cannot tell you how great it is to live news free. Sure I catch headlines on various feeds for major…major stories and don’t shut myself off completely. But watching it every day and feeling that this makes you part of society is a pure joke. Plus lets be honest news is always negative. For example. Today in Australia, there may have been 1,453,232 random acts of kindness. Someone for example running onto a road to rescue an animal, or doing a kind deed for a stranger, or a surprise for a loving partner. What a great day right? Wrong! There happened to be 2 people, in a city of 4 million that did something evil. So lets focus on these guys, flash their faces across TV and talk about this.
Please check this amazing article that sums up everything nicely.
Here are some notes from the article to consider:
- News is toxic for your body – It constantly triggers your limbic system and spur the release of glucocorticoid (cortisol). Your body finds itself in a state of chronic stress. High glucocorticoid levels cause impaired digestion, lack of growth (cell, hair, bone), nervousness and susceptibility to infections. The other potential side-effects include fear, aggression, tunnel-vision and desensitisation.
- News is irrelevant to your life – Out of the 10,000+ stories you have read how many have actually allowed you to make a better decision in YOUR life?
- News inhibits thinking – News is designed to interrupt you and break your concentration
- News works like a drug – As stories develop you want to know more and more and it keeps you coming back.
- News wastes your time – The time it takes to watch a typical 30 minute news broadcast you could have worked out and started making dinner.
Go on an try be news free for just 7 days, and you will soon realize just how peaceful your days can be!