When going Paleo one of the biggest things to let go of was delicious pizza! I had no idea at the time that there were even tastier paleo pizza base alternatives to the super filling pizza bases which the industry use to stuff you full and use minimal protein toppings. Oh I am so full from my tasty pizza…that had 1/5th of a chicken breast on it and is all gluten!! That must be one of the things I enjoy most about making your own pizza…topping control!
Paleo Pizza Base Hunt Begins…
So my hunt continued after months of no Pizza and I found a cauliflower base paleo recipe. Yeh… Things weren’t looking good. I had to hack to pieces this poor cauliflower and do all sorts of harmful things to it. All I remember is scorching my hands while I squeezed boiling water from a cauliflower through a dish cloth, seriously..what the heck? Now don’t get me wrong, the recipe turned out okay and I was excited to be eating something that resembled pizza, but it was just too much effort and too little reward…plus my kitchen looked like I had massacred a small family of cauliflower.
So many months later I accidentally (nothing happens by accident) stumbled across the perfect paleo pizza base recipe. I was trying to make hamburger buns with some new ingredients and instead this flat hard thing came out. I decided to tweak it and there you have it..the Easy Paleo Pizza Base was born! I have since tweaked it even further and made it as simple as possible for people that I know are short on time. I have been tagged by many people around the world that have had great success with it and I hope you do too!
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 Cup Water
- 1.5 Tbs coconut oil/ghee
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca/Arrowroot
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 Tsp Salt (Himalayan is great)
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- In a bowl mix until foamy the eggs, water and coconut oil/ghee
- Add the coconut flour, salt, garlic powder and baking powder (if it looks a but clumpy that is okay)
- Pour into the center of a baking paper lined pizza pan (or baking tray) and place another sheet of baking paper on top.
- Press down with your hands and smooth the mixture out nice and thin! It can be very think and it will not matter as it will still rise and form together.
- Put in the center of the oven for 19-21 minutes and watch it for a nice even brown
- If you want to put some more ingredients on I waited for the base to fully cool and then put it back in the oven with the toppings for about another 8 minutes. Letting it cool makes it even crispier.